Monday, November 21, 2011

A Triumphant Return

My my my. Hello there, old friends. Since we last got together, I've gotten married, graduated culinary school, been promoted to Sous Chef of Haddington's, left Haddington's, and become the Concept Chef of a fast casual concept on campus called VERTS.

Enough about me though, I've been thinking about returning for quite some time, but I didn't want to return with a simple steak dinner or a shrimp pasta. I wanted to come back big. Now what could be big enough to bring a man back from an 8 month hiatus?

I give you: SWINE OPERATION













You remember Operation from when you were a kid, right? The red light, the crazy hair? Well Greg replaced that poor sick man with a pig! SIX preparations of pork from different parts of the pig were necessary to pull this off. And what better event than the last tailgate of the season? The feast was plentiful and grand!

Let's start from the business end:
HAM-
Comes from the butt end of the pig. (BONUS FACT: Pork butt is not from the actual butt of the pig, it's the shoulder!) Generally cured and smoked and turned into a spiral cut holiday favorite, or little Timmy's lunch. We went the latter route. Mini ham and swiss sandwiches on country white bread served with your choice of mayo or country style Dijon.

RIBS-
They come from the rib area of the pig ;) and when properly prepared, they are delicious! Even Hungry Todd Rungy agrees!

Here it is. The moment you've been waiting for. Luke's Famous Rib Recipe is about to be released into the world. Better copy this down, because I may rethink this and delete it. I drizzled these baby back beauties with blackstrap molasses, then rubbed em down with dark brown sugar, salt and pepper. Smoked em for 2 hours, then wrapped em in foil and smoked em for 3 more hours. Dericious.


SHOULDER/BUTT/PICNIC-

This is the front leg shoulder of the pig and, as you can see, it goes by many names. The particular style I used was a bone-in picnic. This comes with skin on it - which I happily removed, and froze to later make chicharones with (pork rinds). The end game with this bad boy was tacos with pickled red onions, cilantro and lime, so I went slightly South-of-the-border withe the rub: Adobo seasoning, chili powder, and cumin. Now this little fella (8 pounder) made it's way onto the smoker at 7am. And it sat there until 330pm when I wrapped it in foil. That's not quite a thousand words, so here's this:













CHOPS-
Now, I was expecting to feed about 25 people, which turned into about 45-50 people. So when feeding that many people, I had to go with wafer thin chops. A pig sin, I know, but I fixed that real quick. Brown sugar bourbon butter. (which, btw, can be put on steaks, chicken, ice cream, pancakes, waffles, bananas, whatever)

TENDERLOIN-
The tenderloin can be a fickle beast. It's super easy to dry out. That's why it's most commonly found marinated. I went with a rub. I rubbed it the night before to let the flavors soak in. And what, pray tell, did I rub it with? How about coffee (Cafe Du Monde), pecans, salt, and pepper? Oh yea. Tasty. Hungry Todd Rungy proudly displays the 1.5 hour smoked beauty right here:













I feel like I may be forgetting something...... hmmmmmm........ what could it be........... mmmmmmmBACON?
Oh sweet, smoky, salty, delicious bacon. I procured from Central Market a couple pieces of pork belly. Now, they were not the most super awesomest choice cuts of belly I'd ever seen, but they did just fine. I rubbed these babies down with basic dry cure - Kosher salt, sugar, and pink salt - plus honey and minced jalapeños and placed them in a gallon ziploc. I flipped them every other day for a week. Then, on game day, smoked them to 155º, chilled them, sliced them, and grilled them. Faaaaannnnnnntastic!!!!

Overall, thanks to Greg's hard work, and that magical animal, your friend and mine, the Grand Ol Swine, the tailgate was a hit! Now, the game didn't exactly go our way, but the sooners lost, so the day ended with a bright spot.

We even got HookEm to join in on the fun!













In addition to Greg, I'd like to thank Hungry Todd Rungy for stopping by, and Josh for the great pics! This should be the beginning of my return to blogging. Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. LUKE!
    If you ever want to _really_ go whole hog, my brother's pet pig has been getting friendly with the local boys on the ranch. The pig/boar hybrids are cute [and stripey] but he has trouble giving them away and doesn't want to feed them all 'til they're big enough for the dinner table. Personally, I think he should suck it up and get a caja china, but that's me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If he needs someone to take small pigs off his hands, I'm the guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looked AMAZING and so creative!

    ReplyDelete