Friday, May 7, 2010

Ecuadorian Shrimp Ceviche

"Mirepoix! Mirepoix! Roux, roux, roux!
Chop em up! Dice em up! Throw em in the stew!"

Apparently that was the cheer for the hockey team at CIA when Chef Porter was in school. I just thought that was interesting to share. We did our group presentation today in Basic Cookery. I'm not sure if I told y'all about that or not, but my group did our presentation on Chef Stephan Pyles - "The Father of Southwestern Cuisine" out of Dallas. The presentation went pretty well. We were required to provide some sort of visual aid. So we made Ecuadarian Shrimp Ceviche:















Here's the recipe. Instead of the popcorn we fried up some blue corn tortilla chips (as you can see in the photo). Mmmmmmmm...... it was tasty! Everyone in the class LOVED it, including Chef Porter, who asked for seconds. BOOYAH!!!

We started talking about stocks and sauces today - YAY! Apparently this is day 2 stuff in labs (1.5 weeks away!). This is one of the [many] things that I am really looking forward to in school. I feel like knowledge of stocks and sauces will really elevate my cooking. Can't wait.

Ventured over to Madam Mam's for dinner with my pals Nacho and Summer. I haven't had much Thai food and I'm wanting to really try new things and new restaurants. I'm going to try to set up some kind of informal message board or something where we can all start dialoguing about new restaurants and cuisines and stuff. Stay tuned for that. But for now, let's play "Name That Dish". I'll give you the ingredients of the dish I had for dinner, and you tell me what it was:

Shrimp
Thai coconut soup w/ lemongrass
Magrood leaf
Galanga
Thai pepper
Lime juice
Mushroom
Cilantro

I'll even give you a hint with a picture:














The first person to name it will get a taco. Make sure you check out Sunday's blog, I'm making a nice dinner for my mom for Mother's Day.

3 comments:

  1. On the menu it was just called "Tom Kha". Does the "Goong" refer to the shrimp? Close enough. You sir, are owed one taco.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love thai food...can me and you be friends without Jay in the way? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete