Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Tasty Viddles

In my haste to finish my blog yesterday, I forgot to post last night's dinner.













Chicken pot pie. Mmmmmm! I did use store-bought bake'n'serve puff pastry shells, but the rest is from scratch. I made Supréme sauce and added chicken, onion, celery, carrot and peas. We also had mashed potatoes. It was a lovely meal and will be lovelier once I master puff pastry from scratch.

Today in school was Veggie Day II. It wasn't quiiiiite as excellent as yesterday. We hit a few snafus. Presented in this order: photos (of all), name, critique, score:













Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon Butter (top left) - a little tepid, "would've been a 20 if they were hot"; 19
Tomato Provençal (top right) - needs a little more salt; 19
Cauliflower Au Gratin (bottom left) - "literally 1 second too long in the salamander"; 19
Roasted Beets with Balsamic Glaze (bottom right) - nailed it; 20

Overall, a really nice day. So for dinner:













I hit the farmers market to pick up the pork belly I ordered last week. Did I forget to mention that? Silly me. I'll be curing a pork belly over the next few days, stay tuned for that. Back to dinner! I picked up some heirloom tomatoes and cucumbers that were picked THIS MORNING!!! All I did was slice 'em and drizzle some pear balsamic vinegar and olive oil on them with a little S&P. Delicious. I fear I may have been ruined for hot-house tomatoes - only time will tell. There's also a ridiculous ribeye that I picked up from Central Market with some twice fried fries and farm fresh broccoli (also from the market). Overall, a wonderful meal and I'll be hitting up that market often!

As promised, the comedy stylings of Chef Waggoner:
-Peas go into the blender for the Chilled Pea Soup "and now, whirled peas" (world peace)
-Again with the peas, "You want this soup to have a strong peaness flavor"
-"Seafood purveyors are just seafood pimps really"
-More peas, "You don't want to put cold soup in a hot bowl, so put your bowls in the fridge. However, when you pull them out, they're gonna want to condensate, so wait till the very last second. Otherwise, you'll be serving that strong peaness with shweaty bowls."
-"The difference between winter corn and summer corn is the firmness of the kernels, or pores. So in the winter, you get hard pore corn and the summer you get soft pore corn."

And as I type, I begin to wonder, "Could these only be funny in context?" Oh well, you done read 'em at this point, so who cares? See ya tomorrow!

5 comments:

  1. Do you make the pear balsamic or buy it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always heard that a farmers market is a good place to meet women. And those were the funniest cooking jokes ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your palate is way too sophis. for me now...but please cook for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i myself prefer soft pore corn hahaha love it

    ReplyDelete