Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Twanky Lanky Lanky!!

Sorry for going almost a week without a post. (Well, actually, the post labeled "Wednesday" was done on Thursday, but whatever.) Yeesh! I know right? It was a loooooong weekend. So here's a quick recap:

Friday-
We nailed Shrimp Bisque, Manhattan-Style Clam Chowder and Corn and Crab Chowder:













The Corn and Crab Chowda was wicked tasty (see what I did there?). Three 20s.

Saturday-
I knocked out some serious prep at Uchi. I was the sauce boss. I made Sumiso - which included squid ink (yep). I also made San Bai Zu, Miso Base, Fish Sauce, and Pitchfork sauce.

Then it was off to Hula Hut with the crew. Followed by the pool. Then grilling some tasty skewers and the house. And then to Lucy's for UFC 114 - I called the Rashad win btw.

Sunday-
When I used t work at Pappadeaux, we would float the Guadalupe once a week. It was the best. So we decided to get a huge group together to harken back to olden times. Thirty-one (31!) of us gathered and floated the Rio like a bunch of champs! However, the river was flowing at break-neck speeds and only lasted about 2.5 hours. Also, like in the old days, we hit up Rudy's on the way home. There's nothing like a jumbo smoked baked potato stuffed with pulled pork to really finish off a nice river trip.

Monday-
Apparently, every Memorial Day, they shut Uchi down and take the whole crew out to The Hyatt Regency Lost Pines Resort. We played a golf scramble (my team won with a 3 under par). We took over the pool. Then it was off for some barbecue and back to the hotel where I can only assume shenanigans ensued. I had to head back since I had school at 630 this morning.

Today-
Totally spaced and forgot my camera which was a bummer since today we made some really pretty looking food. We made Asparagus with Hollandaise, Haricot Vert Basquaise (French green beans with shallots, and red & yellow bell pepper), Brussels Sprouts with Prosciutto and Pignoli (we actually used a nice dry ham, and also pine nuts and parmesan), and Artichokes Clamart (trimmed and simmered artichoke with shallots and peas). My partner took pics with her camera and is supposed to send them to me. So I'll post them when I get them. For now, I'll just tell you that WE GOT FOUR 20s TODAY!!!!! Heck yes! We absolutely destroyed vegetable cookery I.

Tomorrow will be a quick day since the Uchi guys are doing an "Edible Art" demo up at the school. That should be pretty awesome - I'll let you know how that goes. I'll also do a quick rundown of Chef Waggoner's jokes to date. Really good stuff. See ya tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment