Saturday, August 14, 2010

Diablos en Caballo

So after making the Devils on Horseback at Mulberry and learning that you could pretty much interchange the fruit and cheese and pork as you wanted, I decided to whip up a version of my own: I got some dried mango that was coated with sugar and chili powder, and some queso quesadilla (Mexican melting cheese). Around those two ingredients, I wrapped bacon that I had candied with brown sugar and cumin. And they looked like this after a couple minutes in the oven:













I call them "Diablos en Caballo". They were pretty ridiculously delicious. However, they can (and will) be improved upon. The bacon pretty much took over the whole thing. So I either need to increase the fruit and cheese, which would make it more than 1 bite, OR (if you ever quote me on this, I'll deny it) I need to decrease the bacon. I'll figure it out. I served it with a salsa made of tomatillos, hot hatch chilis, cilantro, onion, garlic, and lime juice.













It was quite complimentary to the Diablos. The spice and acid cut through the sweetness of the candied bacon and the richness of the cheese. Everybody really seemed to enjoy them. I will make these again and again. They are a welcome addition to my repertoire.

1 comment: