Friday, August 27, 2010

Foreign & Domestic

I really meant to get this written on Friday night, right after it happened, but I was SO full that I passed right out. Then all day yesterday I was smoking a flat iron (delicious) and pool partying until I went to see Jonathan Tyler & Northern Lights at Gruene Hall (great show). Aaaaaaaannnnd, here we go!

Where to even begin? I guess from the beginning would be good. I had been hearing about Foreign & Domestic from friends and cooks and coworkers for a few weeks and finally decided that I MUST see what all the buzz what about. The place is super cool. There are not a lot of tables, but there is a nice seating area outside for waiting. The place is like an old diner or something. The kitchen is right there in the dining room. Not like there's a window to the kitchen. The kitchen is enclosed on one side by a wall, one side by the dish room, and two sides by the diners sitting at the counter. I was one of those diners sitting at the counter. In fact, I was in (as I overheard by servers picking up food) seat 1. Literally arms' length from Chef Ned Elliot, who kindly introduced himself.

After grabbing me a Session Lager, the server asks if I'm ready to order. I tell him that I "would like to try everything," but have settled on the Grilled Melon-













with grapefruit, blackberry, candied pecans, and crispy pork. Man oh man, this was good! The melon was cold and warm at the same time. The candied pecans and berries and grapefruit provided several contrasts. And the crispy pork. Oh the crispy pork. Salty. Crunchy. Tasty. As I was finishing the melon dish, my server returns with this:













Gruyere Popovers- not much explanation needed here. They're a crispy pastry with yummy cheese inside and grated over top. I was a little perplexed at first when he set it down, as I had not ordered this, but then he let me know that it was "with their compliments" (aka on the hizouse). Flaky, cheesy, warm and delicious! I was able to conquer one, but with more food on the way, didn't want to fill up. I was also presented ("with their compliments") with a nice bowl of the Chilled Eggplant Soup-













with summer peas, marcona almonds and verjus (the juice of green grapes). Again, great. I can only eat so much cold soup though. So I was forced to take about half of this home (with my other popover). As I finished up my $Free.99 plates, the second dish I had ordered arrives. Fried Green Tomatoes-













over a garlic mayo, with pepper jelly and squash blossom stuffed with lamb's heart. Let me tell y'all that I probably made some inappropriately sensual faces whilst enjoying this dish. The tomatoes were perfectly fried crispy. The pepper jelly was sweet and spicy. The squash blossom stuffed with lamb's heart had flavors I've never experienced. The only thing I could have asked for was the dish a second time. So fantastic.

So, sitting at the counter, right where the chef is expoing also resulted in sitting right where the pastry guy was putting together desserts. I'm not sure how clearly over these last few months I've conveyed how intense my sweet tooth is. However, I DO know how clearly over these last few months I have conveyed my love of bacon, which resulted in my ordering of

The Bacon Float













Two scoops of chocolate ice cream topped with a scoop of chocolate covered bacon bit icream, topped with butterscotch, topped with A&W root beer, topped with a piece of chocolate covered bacon AND A CINNAMON SUGAR PORK RIND!!!!!!!!! Like I said, I probably made some inappropriately sensual faces whilst consuming the FGTs. I definitely made some inappropriately sensual faces [and noises] whilst enjoying this float. Chocolately, cold, bacony, ridiculous. I don't know if the chef or server heard me, but when the people sitting next to me asked how the float was, I told them that I would pay whatever they wanted to charge me for that float. It was like a dream. I really, really, really, decadently awesome dream.

After my inaugural trip (of what will soon be many) to this wonderful restaurant, I can not sing it's praises high enough. Please go to there. It's also VERY affordable. All of the small plates are under $10 and the most expensive entrée is like $23. btw the Bacon Float is $7 and worth every penny and then some.

No comments:

Post a Comment