Monday, October 11, 2010

Ensalada de Camarones

Decided to do a little cookin this evenin'.













Cilantro lime shrimp. Fried corn tortilla strips. Jicama. Tomato. Queso fresco. Jalapeño-lime vinaigrette. And house pickled red onion. All served on escarole. This salad was killer.

I marinated the shrimp for a good hour and a half then sauteed them. The vinaigrette was the juice of two limes, twice as much canola oil, jalapeño, garlic, s&p and a scoatch of honey and I just shook it up in a container. I used escarole because it's a slightly bitter green - my thought was that the sweetness of tomato, shrimp, jicama and pickled red onion would counter the bitterness - (SPOILER ALERT!) I was right. "Hold on there! Did you say pickled red onion?" Why yes I did, thanks for asking! I simmered toasted spices (bay leaf, coriander seed, fennel seed, whole allspice, whole clove, cumin seed, black peppercorns) in equal parts white vinegar and water with sugar and a touch of salt. I poured that over sliced red onion and tossed in some smashed garlic and jalapeño just for grins. You're my faithful readers and I don't want to lie to you. These are great. I think I will forever now have something pickled hanging out in my fridge. I know this is a "quick" pickle and that is because I don't want to spend 1/4 of my life sterilizing jars and waiting for stuff to get tangy.

Overall a real learning experience, and a winner. See ya next time.

2 comments:

  1. lol@quick pickle, the pickled onions were insanely delicious btw

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you finish a jar of pickles and don't drink the juice like your mom does, I have put onions or cucumbers in the juice jar and it be ok.

    ReplyDelete