Sunday, October 31, 2010

Those Tacos Were......Aaaasian!

Honestly, I just haven't really eaten or learned or cooked enough interesting stuff to write about over the last couple weeks. Until yesterday. We were unsure about the number of tailgaters we would have, so I decided to go with tacos. Tacos can be stuffed or packed lightly to stretch for more people. However, I didn't want to just do the same ol same ol fajita tacos so I decided to go Asian.

Korean-style Beef Tacos













I used a beef top round roast and sliced it in about 1.5" "steaks" and marinated it in soy sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic and scallions (like bulgogi) for a few hours and grilled it. These were served with grilled scallions and red bell peppers, lettuce and sriracha mayo. I had corn and flour tortillas available and they were killer.

Vietnamese-style Pork Tacos













In a similar fashion, I used a pork loin roast and sliced it into "steaks" and marinated it in soy sauce, lime juice, lemongrass, garlic, and brown sugar and grilled it. These were served with sriracha mayo, cilantro and carrots, daikon, jalapeƱo, and red onion that I had pickled the day before (see the shrimp salad recipe I made a few weeks ago for pickling technique). These were even better than the beef tacos. Really good.

I'm planning to make something real tasty for dinner tonight, so hopefully I can write about that. This week I have finals in Cost Control and Wine and then next week starts the Baking Block. I should be back on blogging on the reg for that (even though I'm not looking too forward to that block).

1 comment: