Monday, April 26, 2010

Boeuf Bourguignon

A couple weeks ago, I saw "No Reservations: Techniques". Anthony Bourdain made Boeuf Bourguignon (a very basic beef stew). I've never been a big fan of stew, but as a student of the culinary arts, I'm going to have to make and try a lot of things I'm "not a fan of". So, it looked taaasty and I decided that I would make it. Today, I had enough time to make it. So I did.

The meez (mise en place):
-Beef shoulder roast
-Carrots
-Onions
-Garlic
-Parsley
-Time
-Bay leaf
-Olive Oil
-Salt
-Pepper
-Dutch oven
-Wine (not pictured)

The idea is that you brown the meat:













Then you brown the onions. Add the wine. Put everything else in and simmer for a couple hours.

I'm not going to call it a full on "win", but it wasn't a "fail" by any means:













I've never had Boeuf Bourguignon before, but it pretty much tasted like pot roast? It's supposed to be fork-tender and some pieces were, but some pieces weren't. I can see now from the picture, that I didn't exactly do a bang up job on the skimming. I think I put in too much liquid, not enough vino, and I had the temp too low for most of the simmer. The Yukon Gold mashed potatoes were excellent though. I'll try this again soon and see if I end up with different results.

6 comments:

  1. JULIE AND JULIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Can you cook for me and we can have an entry called "when blogs merge"...ORRRR we can have a thing where you cook a meal and I'll cook the healthier version? WHAT? NOT INTERESTED?!FINE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can help with this Luke!! I got this down!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a recipe for this and/or experience with the dish?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well by golly, it's better than anything I could do!! Good job! I'm quite interested in the joint blog venture of Good -vs- Evil recipes. Start with Chicken Fried Steak and gravy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Experience with the dish. My mom cooked this often in my childhood.

    ReplyDelete