Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yuzukosho

Again, we reviewed the material before the test in Sanitation today - mid-term, that is. We split into teams and went around the room with each group answering questions. The catch? The winning team scored a 5 point bonus on the test. We split into our groups and the kid that works at McCormick and "Schmucks" (as he puts it) says, "Yea! We got the Uchi guy!" Yep. "The Uchi Guy". BOOM! Aaaaaaannnnd we won. 5 bonus points on the test. Then we got to it. I buzzed through it pretty quick with a couple speed bumps here and there (which I doubled checked after class to find that I had gotten correct). I'm pretty sure it's coming back with a "105" on it. We'll know by tomorrow.

I got a little break at the house and then it was off to Uchi. Today was real fun. I had a different sous chef "boss for the day" - Jay. Jay had me start off with yucca chips.... again. I'm getting pretty good at that. Everything else was different though. I boiled, shocked, and shelled quail eggs. I made a version of yuzukosho which required me to zest 46 limes. I did not mistype that. 46. Limes. I also zested lemons, grated some garlic, and minced Thai chilis. I mixed all that together with some salt then mashed it with my chef's knife to create a paste. That was fun. Then I sliced some of those limes and put them in the dehydrator. I have no idea what they'll do with those.

I reckon that's all for now. It's back to Basic Cookery tomorrow. I'll let you know how the test score comes out!

No comments:

Post a Comment