Friday, July 16, 2010

"Fresh" and "Natural"?

Again, I apologize for the lengthy wait, but as I warned last week, that Hospitality Supervision class is a real yawner. However, the Nutrition class has proved to be both informative and interesting. No, I have not been eating olives every day. I massively failed on that challenge. Ate some last Sunday. Still hate em. Maybe I'll try again.

I did keep a food diary for three days though. It can be very telling. Try it out at dailyplate.com. There's also an app for your iPhone - search "LIVESTRONG Calorie" and it should come up. Our next challenge was to set a 3 week goal for ourselves. Mine? No fast food for 3 weeks. Yeesh! I know, I know. Many of you don't eat fast food that often or at all, so you think this is no problem. I drive by a Whataburger to get home. WHATABURGER PEOPLE!!!!! I'm hoping that not only will this help ween me off fast food, it will also force me to plan my meals and stop being so lazy!

FUN FACTS:
-Agave nectar is all the rage as a natural sweetener. Did you know that the agave plant is poisonous in its raw state? Also, it is used to make tequila.
-Carbs begin breaking down in your mouth. Protein in your stomach. And fat in your small intestine.
-Your small intestine is 22' long (on average) and is where your body absorbs most of its nutrients.
-Your colon absorbs water out of your food.
-The terms "Fresh" and "Natural" are not regulated by the government, so anything can be labeled as either.
-On average, people of a healthy weight miss 1 day of work per year. People of an obese weight miss an average of 14 days of work.
-Supplements are not regulated by the USDA or FDA. Yea. Suck on that. Also, they don't have to put 100% of the ingredients on the label.
-If you eat 0 carbs long enough, your body will turn protein into ketones for energy, which can in turn result in your blood turning into acid.

Unfortunately, I have not really made any cool new stuff at home. I'll work on that, but I'm moving this week, so it's a little tough to whip up tasty vittles with all the pots and pans packed up.

I did work another service shift at Uchi and this time I actually got to plate some stuff! Turns out I make a pretty nice quenelle. I was making salads and starters and amuse bouches and desserts, oh my!! Lots of fun.

I'll try to eat some really good food this weekend so I have something to type about next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment