Thursday, July 8, 2010

Learn Your Scales

So far "Hospitality Supervision" is not quite as interesting as I thought it would be. Mostly just leadership and diversity talk. Not that that's not important. Diversity..... is the cornerstone of progress, as I've always said. I did learn a few interesting facts:

-According to the National Restaurant Association, on average, restaurant turnover is 100%. Meaning that you replace your entire staff within 12 months.
-It costs a restaurant about $5,000 to train a new employee.

Like I said. Yawn.

Last night I worked another service at Uchi. I didn't actually get to do a lot of plating since it was super dead. I mostly knocked out some monster prep and cleaning. I cleaned the sugar, rice, and flour bins; organized the container racks; cleaned and consolidated the walk-in; did orange supremes, garlic brunoise, peeled more garlic, negi for miso soup, made miso soup, cut up tofu, and scaled barramundi and lubino fishes. All-in-all, it was a pretty great shift.

'Member the other day when I said I might be doing a shift over at Mulberry? Well that's how I'll be spending my afternoon/evening today. I should have some plenty to write about tomorrow! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. thats insane that the "average" is 100%, but also believeable

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooo mulberry, sounds fancy :D

    ReplyDelete